[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban update 23may2020

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Sat May 23 23:32:49 BST 2020

On May 23 2020, at 3:27 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 23 2020, at 3:17 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>>
>> > python3 fu/cr/test/test_pipe_caller.py
>>
>> fu/logical/test/test_pipe_caller.py:
>>
>> ``
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "test/test_pipe_caller.py", line 14, in <module>
>>     from soc.fu.logical.pipeline import LogicalBasePipe
>>   File "/home/colepoirier/src/soc/src/soc/fu/logical/pipeline.py", line
>> 3, in <module>
>>     from soc.fu.logical.input_stage import LogicalInputStage
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'soc.fu.logical.input_stage'
>> ```
>
> i missed that - that was what i needed.  so that was my fault, i've
> added (and pushed) them now.
>
> it should have been the first reaction. not to try to "fix" the
> problem and then report an error in the method that you were trying to
> fix the issue (that you didn't clearly state existed)
>
> the very first thing should have been "report the original error".

Learning. Will try to do this, but I expect to fail at least one more
time :)

>> Sorry I thought this was clear from: "Do I have to add something from
>> fu/logical/logical_input_record.py, or
>> add something else in order to use CommonInputStage properly?"
>
> not at all.
>
>>  I'll be more explicit in the future.
>
> always a good idea, and something that everyone forgets (including me).
>
> l.

Indeed. I'm trying to adapt to these new better habits of explicitness,
and the above 'explicitly state errors exist before doing something
fruitless/useless', but my old bad habits are clearly putting up a
fight. I will continue to try my best :)