[Libre-soc-dev] Libre-soc-dev Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Sep 22 11:23:54 BST 2023

On Friday, September 22, 2023, Sadoon Albader via Libre-soc-dev <
libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:
> If it helps I can definitely host a mirror for all the libre-soc related
servers.

mmm ahh i have a thought: are you able to run a VM on it
which you can let me have root access? it would allow
me to add a 3rd offsite backup via rsync. i will be TRUSTING
YOU (GDPR regulations, ssh private keys, password files)
so if you can make it an encrypted disk that you cannot ever
see its contents (only i can) that would be best. is that
possible and not too much hassle? actual disk allocation
needed is only about... 30 GB for now.

> I have a 4th gen Xeon 6-core with 32GB of ECC RDIMMs system just sitting
around collecting dust, and I already have a static IP and can get another
one on discount given my current employment situation ;)

ridiculous :)

happy to set it up with a DNS record when you have the IP.
oh.  IPv4 please: *no* IPv6. too seriously problematic.

> My setup is not high standards but for a mirror it should be perfectly
usable.

sure go for it, preferably use salsa as the sync-source as it
has bandwidth sponsored by gitlab as part of the *debian*
sponsorship by gitlab.

> (Also Luke if you get my email can you reply with "ack" so I know whether
to pick up a fight with my current email provider? It's getting annoying)

this is to the mailing list and it went through fine.
if you sent anything else then i didn't receive it.

just fyi although jacb mentioned rate-limiting on exim4
(3 outstanding simultaneous INCOMING smtp connections so as
not to overload the VM) that has nothing to do with *google*
rate-limiting when it detects a "flood" of something like
400 gmail msgs (we have i think 600 subscribers) *per message*
delivered from a single IP address (smtp.libre-soc.org)