[libre-riscv-dev] dns entries for talos server & server maintenance

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat May 23 03:46:31 BST 2020

On Saturday, May 23, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > just logged in: yes it's definitely running debian/testing: *really* -
> > don't ever do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" or any form of automated
> > upgrade on a debian/testing system, ever.
>
> Ok, sorry. I saw stable in the apt lists and assumed it was on debian
> stable.

the list is amalgamated, including from /etc/apt/sources.list.d so it is
necessary to really really pay attention and read every line.

the way debian works is that unless apt pinning is active, the highest
lexicographically named version of a package is picked.

so with stable *and* testing in the list, and no apt pin preferences file,
testing gets picked... unless a testing package has not been built.

> Also, the debian security source isn't working for some reason
> (missing file? got a 404), so that source didn't work.

either it doesn't actually exist or it is spelled wrong.