[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban update 19may2020

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 19 12:59:34 BST 2020

yesterday i went over the pipeline code, thought about register to function
unit allocation, wrote to Marketnext to alert their members to preinstall
the dev environment (thanks to Cole for helping with that), and recovered
slightly from late nights.

today i plan (started) drawing out the Function Units with their Read and
Write register port allocations.

the idea is to have everything on one page, from which it will be clear how
many (total) ports will be needed on each type of Regfile (INT, SPR,
Condition, Exception). then, the classes connecting FUs to Regfiles can be
designed.

except, i can't complete the diagram because i am blocked waiting for Jacob
to do the DIV and MUL pipelines, which we have found highlights clearly
what regs are needed in ways that a cursory examination does not reveal.

i will therefore try to do this task without having the pipeline code to
examine.

one of the primary purposes of the kan-ban daily updates is to identify
these kinds of blocks, when collaborating in a group.

we also have a few other blocks / task dependencies:

* Yehowshua, the pinouts need to be discussed with Tim as to what he would
like to see, before we put them into the pinmux.  we cannot allocate that
to Rudi until it has been agreed by the team, and he has been waiting for
over 7 days (5 percent of the available time for completion of his task)

* Cole, the bperm proof (not exactly a block, more a confidence boost)

* Tobias, the countzero proof (not exactly a block, more a confidence boost)

* Alain, the kan-ban board, which will help us to identify task
dependencies a lot better.