[libre-riscv-dev] [OpenPOWER-HDL-Cores] little-endian only power cores and spec compliance

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Wed May 13 02:22:01 BST 2020

Hi All,

I'm barely qualified to add much more than $0.20 to this thread, but
will give it a whirl...

I've not had a chance to dig into the v3.1 spec as yet but can offer the
observation that the intent (as demonstrated in the Microwatt
implementation for example) was that the simpler/simplest
implementations would be LE with BE optional. SIMD also optional in
these as well.

So if the docs don't represent this we'll need to take a closer look :)

We're getting more of the key folk from our member companies (mostly
IBM) into the loop through this list but as Luke rightly pointed out
over on libre-riscv-dev they're a busy crew at the moment with a new
chip due out soon :)

That said I imagine someone will chime in soon who -actually- knows this
stuff!

Cheers,
Hugh

(Speaking for myself only in this case, though I believe wearing my ED
hat I'd be saying much the same :)