[libre-riscv-dev] MMU + TLB idea

Michael Nolan mtnolan2640 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:39:08 BST 2020

I remember some time ago working on a powerpc core that (I think) had a
partly software MMU. It got me thinking: we could have a TLB and the
machinery to look up entries in it and translate the addresses in
hardware, and implement the page table walking and such in software (via
a trap). This would I think cut down the work in implementing the MMU by
making it so we don't need to implement the page table walking machinery
in hardware, and make it a bit easier to test. The downside of course
would be that TLB misses would be slower, but I think it might be a
decent trade-off for our first attempt at the MMU.

Thoughts?

--Michael