[libre-riscv-dev] 4 Simulators?

Michael Nolan mtnolan2640 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:38:49 BST 2020

On 5/7/20 1:33 PM, Yehowshua wrote:
> Hello all - I recently became aware that there a 4 different POWER simulators being worked on?
> This is not a good use of resources given that we have access to a bare-metal Talos II.
>
> We can literally run arbitrary instructions on in remotely - this means a simulator should be low priority given that we have an October deadline.
>
> Yehowshua

I think we do need *a* simulator other than the talos II server. When we
have the core somewhat working, we will want to run a bunch of tests on
it, and check those against a reference. While we can use the Talos as a
reference, running code on it (I assume) will be a somewhat manual
process, not really amenable to unit testing. If we have a simulator
though, we can write (or randomly generate) a bunch of unit tests, and
run them in the simulator and our core and compare the results. So we
will need *a* simulator.

However, I do agree that we don't need 4.

--Michael