[libre-riscv-dev] Building Docker Containers

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:34:06 BST 2020

On Mar 29 2020, at 2:12 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:52 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Luke, I'm doing this on the Kazan gitlab in the libre-soc-dev-env-setup
>> repository (https://salsa.debian.org/Kazan-team/libre-soc-dev-env-setup).

> i'd very much prefer that a resource - not managed by, not backed up
> by, and not with the name of our overall project - on which we will
> have people being critically dependent, "go to this random third party
> website on which we are guests if you want to run install scripts to
> get started" - is not the first place that we direct people to.
>
> you see how that really doesn't look like we know what we're doing?
>
> it's absolutely fine if we were a little team with a small goal that
> didn't matter in the slightest, and, particularly, if we were not
> seeking USD $10m investment i'd say "sure, use external third party
> hosting on which we're guest users, advertising their kindness, and
> that of the hosting company rather than our own competence".
>
> so can you please give me a name for a repository that you'd like to
> be created: i will create it on git.libre-riscv.org, set you (and
> anyone else) as read-writers, and we can use that, yes?
>
> if you'd like to mirror that elsewhere, you're more than welcome to do
> so (as in: nobody can stop you).  however the primary location - and
> primary advertised location - really does have to be this project's
> *own* services.  not a random third party one, no matter how "good"
> that service is.

I'm with you completely Luke, I just thought to do this on gitlab
because it was on my mind while concurrently working on these env setup
scripts and the gitlab jacob-build-server setup script. I think our git
repo will be a much better place for this. Unfortunately, I'm currently
using a Debian desktop that I setup as a test, and wasn't planning on
using long term. Because of this I neglected to set it up properly using
the username that I would like to appear on my development work, so now
the name of the computer and the certs I used it to generate for my
libre-soc access are not my own. Before I step into the git repo fully,
I'd like to take this figurative milestone as an opprotunity to
reinstall my setup, and send you my new public key sometime today or
tomorrow. Is that alright luke?

>> I'm
>> planing on making many smaller scripts that each do only one spefic
>> thing (eg. install yosys, install all general software prereqs from apt,
>> etc.).
>
> that's a really good idea.  i wonder... i wonder if ikiwiki objects to
> git submodules? it shouldn't....
>
> if the scripting repo can be dropped (as a separate repo) into the
> ikiwiki as a subdirectory, the scripts - and any documents - should
> appear there directly as pages on the wiki.

That would certainly be very cool!

>> These scripts can then be combined as needed for specific
>> purposes/set-ups. I will write the basic use cases as these
>> purpose-specific aggregations, specifically the entirety of the HDL
>> workflow setup.
>
> look forward to it, as we will have interns for coriolis2 and i'd like
> them to be able to get up and running with the exact same environment
> in as short a time as possible.
>
> l.

I'm aiming for the same goal, hopefully my first draft will be ready
around tuesday.

Cole