[libre-riscv-dev] Building Docker Containers

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Mar 29 22:12:36 BST 2020

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:52 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29 2020, at 1:02 pm, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, 12:58 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> > wrote:
> >> it would be good to have Makefiles and/or install.sh scripts and other
> >> automated install things which can be called by people setting up from
> >> scratch.
> >
> > The gitlab CI can be set up such that it just runs the install script, if
> > needed. currently, the script is short enough that I don't think that's
> > necessary.
> > The install script and/or gitlab CI just runs the required make, setup.py,
> > and/or cargo build commands.
> >
> > Jacob
>
> Luke, I'm doing this on the Kazan gitlab in the libre-soc-dev-env-setup
> repository
> (https://salsa.debian.org/Kazan-team/libre-soc-dev-env-setup).

i'd very much prefer that a resource - not managed by, not backed up
by, and not with the name of our overall project - on which we will
have people being critically dependent, "go to this random third party
website on which we are guests if you want to run install scripts to
get started" - is not the first place that we direct people to.

you see how that really doesn't look like we know what we're doing?

it's absolutely fine if we were a little team with a small goal that
didn't matter in the slightest, and, particularly, if we were not
seeking USD $10m investment i'd say "sure, use external third party
hosting on which we're guest users, advertising their kindness, and
that of the hosting company rather than our own competence".

so can you please give me a name for a repository that you'd like to
be created: i will create it on git.libre-riscv.org, set you (and
anyone else) as read-writers, and we can use that, yes?

if you'd like to mirror that elsewhere, you're more than welcome to do
so (as in: nobody can stop you).  however the primary location - and
primary advertised location - really does have to be this project's
*own* services.  not a random third party one, no matter how "good"
that service is.

> I'm
> planing on making many smaller scripts that each do only one spefic
> thing (eg. install yosys, install all general software prereqs from apt,
> etc.).

that's a really good idea.  i wonder... i wonder if ikiwiki objects to
git submodules? it shouldn't....

if the scripting repo can be dropped (as a separate repo) into the
ikiwiki as a subdirectory, the scripts - and any documents - should
appear there directly as pages on the wiki.

> These scripts can then be combined as needed for specific
> purposes/set-ups. I will write the basic use cases as these
> purpose-specific aggregations, specifically the entirety of the HDL
> workflow setup.

look forward to it, as we will have interns for coriolis2 and i'd like
them to be able to get up and running with the exact same environment
in as short a time as possible.