[libre-riscv-dev] IBM releases A2I core VHDL

whygee at f-cpu.org whygee at f-cpu.org
Tue Jun 30 14:58:32 BST 2020

On 2020-06-30 15:51, Yehowshua wrote:
> OK. Its very cool that they releases this source.
> It's also impossible to understand without comments.
>
> But it may be helpful to use if when we have behavioral
> questions about certain POWER instructions.

Maybe...

> Definitely a step in the right direction for IBM.

not, it's not a step, but a contradictory statement.

They don't understand the POINT of open source
and the difference with Free Software.
If you can't use or even understand the source code,
there is NO POINT in releasing it.
I can only suppose the technicians are well aware of the paradox
but the managers have cold feet and sabotaged it.

"Free ? as in free beer ? Let's make sure it has no value or use."

> Yehowshua
yg