[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban update 17jun2020

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 19 20:53:43 BST 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 7:57 PM Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> > do commit straight away (don't wait for permission / approval, just do
> > it.  waiting means that other people also have to wait, and in this
> > case cannot move forward).
>
> So that’s there’s no more waiting. I have some examples here on Github.
> https://github.com/BracketMaster/nmigen-by-example
>
> I didn’t want to commit to the main SOC repo just yet because then we’d have
> to figure out just how to pull in Harry Ho’s sram.py amongst other things.

we need to do that pretty much immediately, right now.  this is
already on the critical path.

> It might be possible to upstream sram.py?

we need to not be waiting around for other people to upstream things.
"upstream" is not under a tape-out deadline pressure.  if however the
people involved in upstream come onboard and are happy to receive
donations, that's great.

if not: we need to move immediately, and in no way make our time
schedule critically dependent on their non-critical timeframe.

> I’ll figure this out next week for sure.

next week's far too late.  if you're thinking in terms of "i'll get to
it next week" we are absolutely guaranteed to miss the october
deadline.

> Cache isn’t hooked up to wishbone yet, will finish that tonight.

excellent.

> Also need to clean up my handdrawn diagrams and then push those.

again: don't make "perfect the enemy of good".  commit the hand-drawn
diagrams, let's start the discussion immediately rather than introduce
unnecessary time-consuming tasks.