[libre-riscv-dev] Introduction

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 23:51:14 BST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 13:13 Anais Poirier <anais.shiraz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> My name is Anais, I'm a third year electrical and computer engineering
> student at the University of Toronto, and I am Cole Poirier's sister! I'm
> most interested in gaining knowledge and experience working on a hardware
> project.

Glad to have more people helping out!

I have limited experience with Assembly and Verilog as well as
> extensive experience with c/c++

You may want to learn Rust since it's being used for Kazan (the Vulkan 3D
graphics driver), as well as an IEEE 754 reference floating-point
implementation, an algebraic numbers library (basically computing using
exact real numbers using *lots* of number theory magic; the reference FP
implementation uses it to do arithmetic), and a few other parts of our
project.

Also, I find Rust to be awesome coming from a background in C/C++. No more
mysterious SIGSEGV or buffer overflows! (had quite a few of those in the
old C++ version of my Minecraft-like game.) Also, Rust makes it easy to
manage your source code when building a project since it has an awesome
package/build manager named cargo. It's the #1 most loved language on
stackoverflow 4 years in a row for a good reason! (I'll just leave it at
that for now, I could go on for pages)

https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/01/20/what-is-rust-and-why-is-it-so-popular/

but I am excited to learn Nmigen and hope
> to contribute to the Power Core. I am also the one who created the visual
> slides for the pitch last week and would like to help with the Elm
> Kanban/bug tracker visual front end for Bugzilla.

That would be really helpful, currently we don't have a very good solution
(manually updating pages on the wiki when we remember).