[libre-riscv-dev] Introduction

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jun 15 22:04:09 BST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:55 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't worry Luke, I set up her development machine, running native
> debian 10.3 on bare-metal, like mine, when I set up my own.

staaaar.  whew.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:58 PM Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> > ah.  right.  okay.  we're not supporting macs, and we're not going to
> > do development on macs.  there are two aspects to this:
>
> Dang. I’ve been using a Mac this whole time.

it _is_ in the HDL workflow.

> Not really keen to switch unless I have to do Coriolis stuff.

i know - however think it through.  it's not the same software.  there
could be compilation-level bugs introduced by different compile-time
switches actually in /usr/bin/python, due to a different gcc compiler.

this could result in something incredibly important being missed, and
we have to become OS debugging experts to find out why.

jacob and i experimented with pypy3 about 18 months.  it didn't go
well :)  although the tests that did run, they did run faster, it's
just... it's far too risky.

if we were doing something that was a GUI app, for some "open"
project, there would be no problem - not least because you have to get
the GUI app working for Macs anyway.

but this?  this is *literally* USD 100 million territory, and using a
"personal preferred OS" is just... you just don't do that.  sorry!