[libre-riscv-dev] Introduction

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:55:51 BST 2020

On Jun 15 2020, at 1:49 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:28 PM Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Also, I believe Cole had mentioned that you’re using a Mac?
>
> ah.  right.  okay.  we're not supporting macs, and we're not going to
> do development on macs.  there are two aspects to this:
>
> 1). when it comes to the ASIC layout, it is absolutely critical - and
> is Industry Standard Practice - to have full reproducible builds.  not
> even the username is different.  everyone doing the builds sets up
> carbon-copy machines, where you could literally do a file-system
> byte-level comparison and find absolutely everything is the same.

Don't worry Luke, I set up her development machine, running native
debian 10.3 on bare-metal, like mine, when I set up my own. She has a
mac that she will most likely do part of the Elm work on, but she's not
planning on using her mac for HDL work as I have already set up the
proper development on a dedicated desktop.

Cole