[libre-riscv-dev] why developers love rust on stackoverflow blog

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Jun 10 23:35:15 BST 2020

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 02:28:31PM -0700, Cole Poirier wrote:
> As someone who's only been programming for ~2-3 years, I actually find
> rust much, much easier to use than python, because it's complier
> assisted programming. Dramitically easier for someone like myself with
> so little 'blank-page' programming experience to both get started and be
> productive long term. And oh the types, so beautiful, yet so much more
> productive and easy for me than 'typeless' python, as jacob mentioned above.

I learned to appreciate static typing when I was writing complex data
structures in PL/1 in the 1960's -- it didn't have it.  A pointer was a
pointer, and it would just believe it pointed to whatever you said it
pointed to when you used it.

A learned to *love* statis typing when  got to use Algol 68 a few years
later, in the mid 1070's..

It was a long time before I had it available to me again.
I found it again in Modula 3.

-- hendrik