[libre-riscv-dev] GPU Drivers ROCM

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jun 6 03:10:44 BST 2020

 https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm

> At the very bottom of ROCM sits llvm which emits AMD GPU opcodes.

according to the diagram, NVIDIA CUDA GPU opcodes as well

> It **should be possible to modify this emitter for our GPU. Then we’d
> virtually
> have to do little to no work.

indeed.

another possibility is to actively support AMDGPU opcodes.

this is the aporoach taken by MIAOW (a subset of).

> I’m actively investigating if this is possible and am trying to start a
> conversation
> with some ROCM engineers.

remember to emphasise to them that we are doing a hybrid CPUGPU.  that the
usual route of a full IPC / RPC mechanism communicating to a foreign remote
architecture is gone, and any complex IPC/RPC inter-kernel bridge code is
entirely gone, replaced with *direct* executed assembly code.

otherwise they will think that the conversation involves us being a
Vivante, or a MALI, and consequently they will think that you are talking
about 10, 20 or greater man-years of work, whereas what you are actually
talking about is of the order of around 1 maybe 2.