[libre-riscv-dev] openrisc1200

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:16:27 GMT 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 02:42 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> https://libre-riscv.org/3d_gpu/arch_comparison/

I added data for a lot more aspects. I think that we should go with
OpenPower due to several aspects:

we should try to keep our messaging more consistent, continuously changing
which ISA we will use will cause people to not think we will ever complete
anything

Power has a huge software ecosystem, probably larger than all of RISC-V,
MIPS, and OpenRISC combined. Probably the 3rd largest in the industry after
x86 and ARM. This is probably the biggest factor for which ISA to pick.

Power is known to be very suitable for high-performance CPUs (Power9).

OpenRISC doesn't seem to be a viable option due to the lack of support for
64-bit in software (linux, probably others), among other reasons.

more reasons in the table on the wiki page.