[libre-riscv-dev] PowerISA, NLNet grants

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jan 19 01:46:04 GMT 2020

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 8:32 PM Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> > Forking is frowned upon by the Foundation but can they really
> > prevent/forbid/avoid it ?

using (or abusing) Trademark Law: yes they can.  they are the "guardian" of
innovation (and we need to innovate).  if that "guardian" REFUSES to
respond to reasonable and in-good-faith requests, then we have to initiate
a lawsuit to get them to respond.  that in and of itself would be a waste
of our time.

https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Fake_Open_Source

> Yes. I am in Academia an can testify to the fact that “open” in academia
> is not quite the same as “open” in
> free software at large.

uh-huh :)

> > Let's take the "Open Source" stand of the RVF at their word ;-)
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPXdbm9lc3A seems "inviting"
> > so let's see... The trick would be to say it's "RISC-V
> > derived/compatible"
>
> I am all for that!

again: if we say it is "V-CSIR compatible" (just like etnaviv) we will be
laughed at by large commercial customers looking to buy 10 million units.