[libre-riscv-dev] PowerISA, NLNet grants

Immanuel, Yehowshua U yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 18 21:44:56 GMT 2020

> So do we all agree that the trademark is not a real problem ? :-)

Yes more or less… Or at least not THE problem

> Some are already looking at POWER... but with a dual ISA
> (or "why make it simple when it can be complex ?")

I think we should stick with RISCV if its just a trademark issue. Like Staf, I also have a few connections.
My friend bumped into the initial engineer for RISCV at the Chips conference and you’re always making new connections at a Conferences - so there may certainly be a way to angle this simply by talking to the right people.

It shouldn’t be hard to find parties sympathetic to our cause within the RISCV foundation. Often times, its more of a red tape thing. For example, I know Stanford has strict licensing and trademark restriction on things created from Academia… It may be the same case within Berkeley - but again, I’ll can see who I can talk to depending on IF Libre GPU is still interested in RISCV.

From the responses so far, it seems that the general consensus is that staying with RISCV would be easier?

@Luke - you’re the big man around here. What are your thoughts?