[libre-riscv-dev] Rust over C/C++

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jan 4 15:51:12 GMT 2020

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, Immanuel, Yehowshua U <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu>
wrote:

> Just making sure I’m on the same page here.
> What would we be needing Rust or C++ for? Drivers for the open GPU?

yes.

> I assume that we’d be designing any IP in verilog?

no, nmigen.  verilog would only be needed if using proprietary VHDL tools
that only accept verilog for verification

> BTW - I’m all for Rust.

indeed.  however low level drivers, despite the many benefits, are written
in c and c++, whilst rust is still perceived as unstable, and its license
wholly unsuitable.

this is why we have a MESA NLNet proposal as well.