[libre-riscv-dev] [Libre-silicon-devel] [OT only slightly] STEAM Camp OpenSourceEcology 22jan2020 for 9 days

Hagen SANKOWSKI hsank at posteo.de
Wed Jan 1 09:02:47 GMT 2020

On 1/1/20 12:58 AM, Marcin Jakubowski wrote:

> For some of the machines - Ion implanter • Plasma etcher • Sputter
> engine (Metal deposition) • Diffusion furnace • CVD/LPCVD machine •
> Exposure unit - are these the high cost items that constitute the
> majority of the $1B cost of  a fab? Or are there other major costs? My
> starting assumption is that we can reduce the cost of a $1B fab 100x
> with open source design and collaboration.
>
> Are you aware of any viable open source versions of the above equipment?
Someone on the 36c3 pointed me to this sides

https://www.fabsurplus.com
https://www.used-line.com/list-semiconductor-and-pcb
https://surplus.infineon.com/

We do not have the Clean Room to host this nice used equipment. Even if
there are price tags often with $100 only - you have to disassemble the
stuff in the clean room there, ship to your location across a couple of
borders and their regulations and assemble them on your own site again.
Sometimes also this machines need some repair; and ofcourse cleaning,
cleaning, and cleaning before you'll get the classification again.

I guess, this equipment does not fit into your basement.

Another guess is, a location like a very, very ambitious Maker Space or
another University lab (like NFF at HKUST) to manufacture chips should
be possible - or a partnership of a University and a Maker Space 'cause
the task is to big for a single entity, so they have to cooperate on this.

We have to find the right people to argue or to infect with the D.I.Y.
virus.

--
support LibreSilicon to get back into the Clean Room
https://www.gofundme.com/f/libresilicon-cleanroom-rent