[libre-riscv-dev] Eliminate Any Make [was: Avoiding CMake]

Scheming Pony scheming-pony at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 20 01:28:31 GMT 2020

> Safety critical systems should not fail any time. Or at much as possible.
> But other systems can fail and are justed restarted.

Even safety critical software has shades of meaning. The DO-178B airborne standard has:

    Catastrophic
    Hazardous
    Major
    Minor
    No Effect

> Replicable build is very necessary, but it solves only a single kind of problem.

True, there is formal verification, the development process itself, traceability to requirements, and special test coverage (MCDC) among others.

This Libre hardware project probably doesn't require the strictest practices, but it makes sense to look at them to see what they offer us.  The process we used wasn't really that much of a PITA in the real world--we had time to make coffee or take a break while the thing was compiling.  Getting away the workstation is a good mental health safety practice too.  Off I go...