[libre-riscv-dev] Eliminate Any Make [was: Avoiding CMake]

Veera vklr at vkten.in
Thu Feb 20 01:10:21 GMT 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:58:53AM +0000, Scheming Pony wrote:

> > if you had said that they used replicable builds and had several
> > independent people doing
> > manual compiles as a final build check, i would be very much reassured.
>
> That is the point, it was a replicable build.  A checksum would verify that.  Sorry I wasn't clearer--those people knew what they were doing vis-a-vis safety critical software.

Safety critical systems should not fail any time. Or at much as possible.
But other systems can fail and are justed restarted.

Replicable build is very necessary, but it solves only a single kind of problem.

But the Libre-SOC is being built in Linux, and associated software which are
not error free. Even unit tests are run in this very system.

Even the hardware used is a general purpose commodity one.

Regards,
Veera