[libre-riscv-dev] power pc

Vad Rulezz vad at vr5.epicgamer.org
Wed Oct 23 16:05:54 BST 2019

On 23.10.2019 17:28, Michael Pham wrote:
> Ok my lame jokes aside, POWER, to my knowledge has never been used
> embedded or low power scenarios. It's mostly used in processing heavy
> work, I think? So going with POWER might be an obstacle in Libre
> RISC-V's goals for a low power mobile-class SoC.

PowerPC processors (SoC) from Freescale/NXP as well as BAE Systems
radiation hardened PowerPC are being used a lot in embedded areas e.g.
avionics, aerospace, networking equipment.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture:POWER-ARCHITECTURE

"The PowerQUICC communications processors, Built on Power Architecture
technology, PowerQUICC communications processors support the entire
spectrum of embedded networking equipment, industrial and general
embedded applications."

Even if we talk about consumer grade mobile devices, NXP chips already are not that bad for laptops I think.

Vad