[libre-riscv-dev] power pc

Samuel Falvo II sam.falvo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 16:05:07 BST 2019

POWER, as such, no.  PowerPC, however, has.  There are a wide variety of
PowerPC processors in the embedded space.  Since PowerPC is upward
compatible with POWER, I can't confirm it, but it seems reasonable to infer
that the 32-bit FP value storage matter raised by Luke applies to PowerPC
as well.  (I'd be surprised if it didn't.)

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 7:28 AM Michael Pham <pham.michael.98 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 7:09 AM <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-10-23 12:50, Jacob Lifshay wrote:
> > > Also, 32-bit floats are stored in the FP registers in 64-bit format
> > > (but otherwise behave like 32-bit floats should), this means it will
> > > be more complex to store multiple smaller FP values in a single FP
> > > register.
> >
> > that makes the core draw more power than required, as well...
>
> Well, it is called POWER after all hahaha ;)
>
> Ok my lame jokes aside, POWER, to my knowledge has never been used
> embedded or low power scenarios. It's mostly used in processing heavy
> work, I think? So going with POWER might be an obstacle in Libre
> RISC-V's goals for a low power mobile-class SoC.
>
> Michael

Samuel A. Falvo II