[libre-riscv-dev] power pc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 23 21:30:44 BST 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Vad Rulezz <vad at vr5.epicgamer.org> wrote:

> On 23.10.2019 17:28, Michael Pham wrote:
> > Ok my lame jokes aside, POWER, to my knowledge has never been used
> > embedded or low power scenarios. It's mostly used in processing heavy
> > work, I think? So going with POWER might be an obstacle in Libre
> > RISC-V's goals for a low power mobile-class SoC.
>
> PowerPC processors (SoC) from Freescale/NXP as well as BAE Systems
> radiation hardened PowerPC are being used a lot in embedded areas e.g.
> avionics, aerospace, networking equipment.
>
> https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture:POWER-ARCHITECTURE
>
> "The PowerQUICC communications processors, Built on Power Architecture
> technology, PowerQUICC communications processors support the entire
> spectrum of embedded networking equipment, industrial and general
> embedded applications."
>
> Even if we talk about consumer grade mobile devices, NXP chips already are not that bad for laptops I think.

i just remembered - these guys were talking with me a few years ago:
https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/en/

let's have a look, see what they picked...
https://gitlab.com/oshw-powerpc-notebook/powerpc-laptop-mobo/blob/master/electrical_schematic_ppc_notebook_0_2_version_09_2019.pdf

eyy, they went with the T2080 QorlQ from NXP, there you go:

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture/qoriq-communication-processors/t-series/qoriq-t2080-and-t2081-multicore-communications-processors:T2080

so, yes, you're right :)

am glad to see they're still going.