[libre-riscv-dev] Wish to work on

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 15:15:59 GMT 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019, 01:55 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:58 AM Rishabh Jain <rishucoding at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,

Hi. Always good to have more people.

>  hi rishabh, welcome.  good to hear from you again.
>
> > I am Rishabh Jain. I have completed my undergraduate studies in
> Electrical
> > and Electronics Engineering in December 2018.
> > Previous summer, I worked with luke on the pinmux project while I was
> > pursuing a summer internship at IIT Madras.
>
>  (https://git.libre-riscv.org/?p=pinmux.git;a=summary)
>
> > I have experience of programming in Python, C, java, verilog, assembly
> and
> > bluespec, but I am ready to learn new languages and tools as part of the
> > ongoing project here.
>
>  great.  well, nmigen is the main addition, which depends on yosys,
> can i suggest getting those installed (each from git latest)?
>
> >  May someone give a brief on the ongoing projects and how to get started?
>
> ok, so there are four sub-projects: kazan (the vulkan 3d driver) which
> jacob is working on; the pinmux (which you know already), the ieee754
> FPU, and the soc.  currently, daniel is working on a CAM and a TLB for
> virtual memory.  aleksander helped with the FPU, he's taking a break
> at the moment.
>
> firstly, though, can you go over the charter, the discussion page is
> here http://libre-riscv.org/charter/discussion/ which explains each of
> the parts.
>
> if you're happy with it, the next thing would be to get nmigen and
> yosys up installed, and to confirm it's operational, try running
> "make" in the SoC TLB/src directory:
> https://git.libre-riscv.org/?p=soc.git;a=tree;f=TLB/src
>
> from the pinmux work we did, you already have git-ssh set up, and i've
> been adding you to the repos so you're good to go, there.
>
> we can go from there?

You may want to also check out https://www.rust-lang.org/learn if you
aren't familiar with Rust, since the Vulkan driver is written in Rust and
other portions may also be written in Rust. I find Rust to be much better
than C or C++ (I've written more than 2-300klocs of modern C++ in various
projects, so experience is not a factor).

Jacob Lifshay