[libre-riscv-dev] A little introduction

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jun 4 00:02:51 BST 2019

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I was very surprised to discover this project on slashdot
> because 20 years ago I discovered another project on slashdot
> with a LOT of similarities. So similar it's uncanny but
> I'm glad this project progresses so well !
> 20 years of progress in design tools certainly helps :-)
>
> I could "bikeshed" here like it's comp.arch but it's not
> and our society is 20 years late, at least. The state of
> our computer industry is shockingly braindead and closer
> to implosion every year.

Sigh DARPA has had to start an initiative to fully automate ASIC
development.

> My motto has been "there can be
> no Free Software without Free Hardware Designs"
> for many years now... So please get things done fast !

NLNet certainly agrees with you. I think it has taken some poop to fan-hit
in the privacy arena for it to start to sink in.

We have seen the writing on the wall clear as day for decades, because we
understand tech.

Other people do not, it's really that simple.

So, poop had to meet fan, to get traction. Btw the Mythbusters episode on
that is funny as hell.

> I'll try to see how I can support this project,
> while also benefitting from it.

Well, you are in the EU which means that you could be part of any
initiative to apply for NLNet funding.

>  I don't have much time
> but I have developed certain tools and methods that
> might eventually be useful here, and what you do here
> could help some of my own, more modest, projects
> (see https://hackaday.io/whygee for an overview)

Appreciated.

> Cheers,
> Yann
>
> PS: Hi Samuel :-P

Sam I told Yann off-list he could kick your tyres...