[Libre-soc-dev] IRC access via Matrix

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Jan 31 15:37:31 GMT 2024

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 8:41 AM Rita Madsen via Libre-soc-dev
<libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:

> > or even better ha, wakk rita through it? my idea
> > there is, rita, you get some idea of "what it is actually
> > like" to participate in a FOSS project?
>
> I think it is a fantastic idea, Luke. Of course, if Jacob has time for this.

basically the idea here, is, rita, you actually get to "experience" being
part of a FOSS team.

so, illustrative question: when we first talked about the mailing
list, you went, "what's a mailing list?".  did you feel any kind of
intrepidation (i did) or any nervousness at joining a public forum?
i did, back in 1995, when i first joined the samba mailing list. i
was like, "eeeeee i'm talking with these people who are to me
like gods, and they're replying!"

these kinds of reactions are i feel precisely the kind of things that
would be incredibly valuable to capture.  another example: we
get people *refusing* to commit source code "because they might
be criticised because it's not quotes ready quotes", and who take
months to be reassured that it's ok to make changes to the wiki
"because they might damage something".

walking people through that process, getting them over those
crucial psychological barriers, takes weeks if not *months* of the
project lead and the rest of the team's time.