[Libre-soc-dev] Finishing off the grant: gigabit crypto router 2021-02-052

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 18:33:28 BST 2024

libre-soc-dev at lists.libre-soc.org> wrote:

> >> anyone else's "sake" is clearly
> >> and obviously the absolute lowest priority to me by comparison.
> >
> > If the rest of us do all the rest of the work, are you willing to
> > approve the parts only you can do? (e.g. approving RFPs)
>
> in all seriousness - i really don't want it done at all.
> the reason is very simple: any work done will be stolen
> by CALDERWOOD and LEWIS, claimed as *their* Trademark.

I do not believe that is the case, they do not appear to be using any
Libre-SOC trademarks in that screenshot, and from what I've heard,
their design is loosely inspired by SimpleV (like how SimpleV is
loosely inspired by RVV and Cray), not a copy of SimpleV.

My assumption is the remaining mentions of SimpleV and Libre-SOC on
their website are from past posts from before the split, where they
kept them as historical information, not what they're planning on
doing now.
e.g.:
https://redsemiconductor.com/libre-soc-promotes-open-libre-microprocessor-mindset/

David has told me very explicitly that they're trying to avoid
anything you directly invented, and that what ideas they are using,
they believe to either not be your invention or have been around
before Libre-SOC started using them (e.g. setvl was in RVV before
Libre-SOC started at all).

> so no, i will not approve any RFPs until they stop stealing.

Not approving any RFPs is a huge problem, I hope you realize that NLnet
could lose a lot
of funding, potentially a lot more than just what they've granted
Libre-SOC. I personally (and the other Libre-SOC members too) would
also be hugely affected by this.