[Libre-soc-dev] Mirrored more repos

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:34:17 BST 2023

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 7:56 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> please reduce that to 24 hours. i was not in any way consulted
> on this decision and the server being mirrored is in no position
> to sustain massive loading, plus i have to pay (personally)
> for the bandwidth.

ok, I used wireshark to measure the amount of bandwidth taken by one
sync when there are no new commits (which is just a series of no-op
git fetches), it comes out to 669838 bytes. calculating based on the
hosting provider's published rate of 5 GBP / TB bandwidth (which is
overcounting since afaict they count the max of upload and download
bandwidth rather than the sum):
(669838*byte) * 1/(15*min) * (60*min/hr) * (24*hr/day) *
(365.2425*day/yr) * (5*gbp)/(1e12*byte) gives:
0.117*gbp/yr (rounded to 3 decimals)

this is a trivial enough amount that I can pay you 10x that per year
if you like...

the total amount of time used per sync was 55s

can I set it to at least once per hour since this is the exact same
git sync that runs our CI and people depend on CI being somewhat
timely for their work, I know at least ghostmansd and I often look at
the CI right after we push stuff.

> i am really getting fed up of people not consulting me before

sorry, I should have asked...