[Libre-soc-dev] Switching development style to using git branches instead of working on master

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 4 20:37:58 BST 2023

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023, Sadoon Albader <sadoon at albader.co> wrote:

> Can we reset the head on openpower-isa to remove my 5 commits and I'll
> push
> them to a separate branch?

no as jacob points out (in this thread), it is unnecessary.
this is an "exemption" case, which we discussed.... eek... 4 years ago?
(and it is already in HDL_workflow iirc)

basically, it boils down to: what you are doing sadoon is *leaf-node* work.

you are not modifying ISACaller, you are *using* ISACaller.

you are not modifying the instruction database, you are *using* it.

in other words you are in no way modifying "critical dependencies"
and consequently you are perfectly safe to work in the master branches.

now, if you *want* to use branches feel free, but please please use "rebase"
*not* merge strategy because merge is an absolute pain in the ass :)