[Libre-soc-dev] FOSDEM 2024

Konstantinos Margaritis konstantinos at vectorcamp.gr
Mon Dec 4 18:34:28 GMT 2023

---- On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 17:22:17 +0200 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton  wrote ---

 > On Thursday, November 23, 2023, Konstantinos Margaritis konstantinos at vectorcamp.gr> wrote:
 > > Hello all,
 > >
 > > I have submitted a talk for demoing how to write SVP64 code
 >
 >   "There is no hardware, not even in FPGA form, so forget about
 >    booting to Linux!"
 >
 > can you please update that to
 >
 >   "There is no hardware; FPGA has however been running for over
 >    2 years, and booting to microwatt linux-5.7 has been achieved
 >    (at 5,000 instructions per second) demonstrating Power ISA
 >    3.0 SFS capability under verilator."
 >
 > otherwise it gives a false and misleading impression, not just
 > of the project overall but also risks denigrating NLnet and
 > the EU Funding that resulted in the successful FPGA and verilator
 > work.

But there is *no* hardware that runs SVP64 instructions currently, that's the point.
Microwatt has nothing to do with testing SVP64 instructions, which is the topic of this talk, how to test the instructions in actual userspace software -ie not kernel drivers or baremetal- of an experimental architecture without any kind of hardware, even in FPGA form.
I'll try to better rephrase that, but microwatt really has nothing to do with my talk, I may mention it in one of the slides, but it's not really part of the abstract.

Konstantinos