[Libre-soc-dev] Libre-soc-dev Digest, Vol 39, Issue 1

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 18 03:08:16 BST 2023

On Thursday, August 17, 2023, Sable <Sable at disroot.org> wrote:

> Interesting... wonder if they have a repo that shows their progress.

https://libre-soc.org/task_db/report/
https://bugs.libre-soc.org

if you mean "RED Semiconductor Ltd"? no absolutely not,
that is a commercially confidential venture that has to
respect Foundry NDAs, which Libre-SOC *by definition* of
being a Libre Project can under no circumstances sign.

> My bad, yeah libre. Sorry about that. My memory must be hazy. xD
>
> Sometimes admittedly, I talk to certain people about this and
unfortunately, there is no other way to talk to them about distros, etc...
for them to understand what I mean, etc...

education. microsoft has an "Open" License for Windows NT Source
code. it reads, "pay us USD 1 million a year and we will OPEN
the source code to you. do anything with it though and we will
sue the f*** out of you".

... but it's "Open", right?

> The second one especially has my interest. Would love to have a netbook
with a 24 hour battery life especially  under high load.

about USD 15 million will do it.  USD 10m for the SoC,
USB 0.5m for the laptop hardware (and component sourcing
which is usually 12 months on its own), and about USD 4m
for the software team including compilers, SFFS distros, and
upstreaming which will take appx 2-4 years.

> Also if possible being able to run qemu with other architectures like
x86_64 or x86 being included in
> that and be semi reasonable speed.

needs JIT binary emulation/translation just like
China ICT did with Loongson around 2018 (MIPS64 to x86)
and DEC did back in 1991 (Alpha to x86), both got appx
70% of native hardware speed.

otherwise the penalty is appx 1000x slowdown.

> A lot of this probably is dream-like for a while even in the future.

just money to make it happen, sufficient to get the right
competent people at Industry-standard rates.

there is a bootstrap process if that does not happen but
it is a much slower route.

basically if you want to see your dream come true faster,
you need to take responsibility to help find the people to
make it happen.