[Libre-soc-dev] c4m-JTAG dependency issues

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:06:37 BST 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:48 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 6:59 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> > Am I supposed to be installing cocotb from the main developer's repo
> > or from https://gitlab.com/Chips4Makers/cocotb/tree/dev_wishbone?
>
> neither.  from https://git.libre-soc.org/?p=c4m-jtag.git;a=summary

Yes I did that. Fails because of ModuleNotFoundError:
```
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/colepoirier/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cocotb/__init__.py",
line 246, in _initialise_testbench
    regression_manager = RegressionManager.from_discovery(dut)
  File "/home/colepoirier/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cocotb/regression.py",
line 154, in from_discovery
    return cls(dut, tests, hooks)
  File "/home/colepoirier/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cocotb/regression.py",
line 126, in __init__
    for test in tests:
  File "/home/colepoirier/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cocotb/regression.py",
line 175, in _discover_tests
    module = _my_import(module_name)
  File "/home/colepoirier/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cocotb/regression.py",
line 69, in _my_import
    mod = __import__(name)
  File "/home/colepoirier/src/c4m-jtag/test/nmigen/cocotb/controller/test.py",
line 9, in <module>
    from cocotbext.wishbone import WishboneBus
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'cocotbext'
```

> then DO NOT run pip3, DO NOT bother installing dependencies.  the ONLY
> THING WE WANT is THAT REPO and NOTHING ELSE.

I tried that. Only started to try installing dependencies because
without them it fails.

> > How did you get around this Luke? I spent 5 hours last night banging
> > my head against this wall... isn't there supposed to be a
> > requirements.txt file that has dependency versions specified so this
> > doesn't happen?
>
> why are you trying to install all dependencies after i already told
> you, last week, just to install c4m-jtag and nothing else?

Because it won't run without cocotbext_wishbone?? I'm telling you,
I've tried six ways from sunday to get this to work.

> > @Jacob this is why I love rust ;)
>
> it's nothing to do with rust: it's to do with pip3 being something
> that people don't understand how to use (or bypass).

Which is a problem with python's dependency management methodology, in
rust it's very, very hard to screw up.

Cole