[libre-riscv-dev] Scoreboard vs Tomasulo

Jeremy Singher thejsingher at gmail.com
Sat May 16 23:45:17 BST 2020

I have finally finished parsing Mitch's chapters, and now I see what
the primary confusion is from. The scoreboard being developed here has
been referred to in the mailing lists as a "CDC 6600-like" scoreboard,
while in reality, the final design is far extended far beyond the
original CDC 6600 implementation. I would suggest not calling it a
"CDC 6600-like scoreboard" in the future, instead a "extended
scoreboard" is more accurate.

Let me try to compose my thoughts.
In order for OOO execution to be possible, write data from
speculatively executed instructions must be buffered, for in the case
of misspeculation, they must not be allowed to commit into the
architectural register file.

In Tomasulo's, speculative write data are held in physically renamed registers.
In the extended scoreboard scheme, speculative write data are held in
compute unit latches.
In Tomasulo's, branch dependency masks are used to drain misspeculated
instructions.
In extended scoreboard, the misspeculated instructions drain
themselves from the system.
Both schemes can be designed to achieve similar OOO behaviors.
Thus, one cannot draw a performance conclusion just by seeing which
scheme is being used.

Ideally the above text should be uncontroversial, please let me know
if there is a large misunderstanding here.

My opinion is that Tomasulo's is a more elegant and well-proven scheme
for achieving OOO execution, compared to an extended scoreboard. I
also argue that the extended scoreboard scheme does not present
significant power/area advantages compared to Tomasulo's. Given that
estimates on power/area tend to be wildly inaccurate, I think we will
have to wait for power analysis of LibreSoC to get a definitive answer
to this debate :).

I deeply apologize if any of my thoughts could be interpreted as
criticism. I fully support this kind of exploration in OOO design. I
also apologize if I seem to suggest a change in design, as I
understand that hardware design is not nearly as flexible as software
design.