[libre-riscv-dev] Introduction and Questions

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Sat May 16 10:47:27 BST 2020

Jeremy Singher schreef op vr 15-05-2020 om 16:49 [-0700]:

> > sigh over a year ago i understood this enough to be able to answer.
> > what we will have to do is simply ignore the optimisation opportunity.
>

> Hmmm, ignoring WAW will significantly limit the ability of the core to
> exploit ILP, which is one of the fundamental reasons for going OOO.

I've wondered about this myself. Can you give concrete example of where
not supporting a WAW hazard blocks ILP ?
I am asking because just a WAW hazard could be easily avoided by a good
peep hole optimizer in software because it would see that the output of
the first write is never used.

greets,
Staf.