[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban update 14may2020

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:28:24 BST 2020

I have been commenting on some of Rust's RFCs as well as on PyO3 issues:
link to my latest comment on forbidden values RFC:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2888#issuecomment-628789625

(some types in Rust aren't allowed to have certain values so rustc exploits
that fact to pack other information into those bytes to save space.
For example:
enum E {
    A,
    B,
    C(bool),
}

will probably only take one byte by using the byte values 2 and 3 for A and
B since bool can only be 0 or 1)

I'm planning on attending the OpenPower virtual coffee call later today,
and will try to make some progress on the load/store execution pipeline.

I may also work on a mul/div function unit, since Luke asked me to do that,
though I think integer mul should be part of the fp mul pipeline since they
can share multipliers, and integer div should be part of the
fdiv/idiv/irem/udiv/urem/fsqrt/frsqrt ALU pipeline that I wrote a lot of
previously.