[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban 07may2020 update

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Fri May 8 12:02:35 BST 2020

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton schreef op vr 08-05-2020 om 10:08 [+0100]:
> > 0.18um TSMC MPW runs are done at least once a month. You can find the schedule online: https://europractice-ic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/General-MPW-EUROPRACTICE-200505-v8.pdf
>
> so everyone is aware: these general 180nm MPW runs are not EUR 600 /sq.mm (the subsidised cost via Staf).  they're 2-3x that level: aroundEUR 1100 to 1500
>
> Yehowshua wrote:
> > And worst case scenario, I can acquire the needed funds for testing the chip from alternative funding sources no problem.
>
> this is good - it would however not be at the EUR 600 / sq.mm level,it would be at double that, and also likely need Staf's paid-forassistance (if you're up for that, Staf?) to act as a firebreak forthe NDAs.

I don't subsidize the MPW runs I just charge the imec price to NLNet. I don't include normal industrial markup on the price for NLNet and just charge the (projected) time needed for the tape-out.
The cost is a little over the €600/mm² without packaging of the chips. For TSMC tape-out there is a minimum area charge of 25mm². For packaging you can go for semi-automatic packaging with a high cost per chip; prices are here. For high volume you have low per unit packaging cost (<$0.5/unit) but a start-up cost of over $5000.

greets,
Staf.