[libre-riscv-dev] Building Docker Containers

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Mar 30 19:58:19 BST 2020

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:43 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don’t worry I kept my ssh keys. But I was having additional problems
> that I believe were self-inflicted through careless pollution of my global
> package namespace among other things, so I wanted to do a clean
> install so that I don’t have erroneous bugs crop up due to this during
> the HDL workflow setup.

don't do it!  teach yourself where things live, and how to find them,
and how to safely remove them, rather than assuming that it's ok to
blow away a box like it's a "toy Windoze machine" ok?

because you ain't doing that to a server, i can tell you that *right*
now!  if people are depending on a server to be up, you are *not*
going to be able to quotes blow it away quotes.

i managed once to overwrite the contents of /sbin and /usr/sbin and
other places, once, on an x86 system by unpacking a cpio-formatted ARM
initrd on it (cpio unpacks to *absolute* paths by default...)

i absolutely was *not* going to quotes reinstall it quotes because it
was a mac, which at the time was a f*****g nuisance to put UEFI
bootable linux on it.  so i rescued it by mounting then chrooting into
a live bootable install disk, unpacking some of the relevant .deb
archives (by hand) and manually copying files over, one by one.

> It was my mistaken assumption that changing
> my username would interfere with the proper functioning of my ssh
> key because it has my old username instead of my new one. I’m happy
> I was wrong :)

yes.  ssh keys have absolutely nothing to do with usernames.