[libre-riscv-dev] Setup automation scripts

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Mar 25 16:18:27 GMT 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 4:04 PM Cole Poirier <colepoirier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Libre-SOC team,
>
> I'm currently working on turning the setup Jacob and I did on his build
> server into an easily replicable bash setup script. While working on
> this yesterday, I concurrently tried to follow the hdl workflow, a
> substantial part of which is setting up a debootstrapped chroot and
> installing coriolis2. On this attempt I was finally able to complete it
> (thanks to Luke and Jock for updating the process for Debian 10 and
> working out a few other kinks in the process!),

hooraaay!

> but given the length and
> complexity of this process, it strikes me as another candidate for
> automation. I was thinking I could repeat the process I'm going through
> with Jacob, working on the build server setup automation, with the HDL
> workflow.

yep, sure, go for it.  drop all the commands into scripts, then...
hmmm, you have git read/write access to the wiki: git commit them into
HDL_workflow directory and put in a link to them in coriolis2.mdwn

> Jacob has advised me to set up a local debian vm for the
> purposes of ensuring the script's reliability, so it is my thiniking
> that it will be worthwhile to work on these two process automations concurrently.
> Do you think that this is would be useful and worthwhile? Also, given
> that we already have a hard dependency on python, are bash scripts
> preferable to the python equivalent of these automation scripts?

python is total overkill, bash is generic and brain-dead.

there's absolutely no need for using python for this task, as there is
zero interaction.  it's literally a matter of bang, bang, command,
command.  remember you can output stuff to files with:

$ cat <<EOF > filename
adasdjhasd
asda
sd
EOF
$

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2500436/how-does-cat-eof-work-in-bash

so you absolutely do not need to use python, not even for file-writing.