[libre-riscv-dev] Setup automation scripts

Cole Poirier colepoirier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:04:43 GMT 2020

Hi Libre-SOC team,

I'm currently working on turning the setup Jacob and I did on his build
server into an easily replicable bash setup script. While working on
this yesterday, I concurrently tried to follow the hdl workflow, a
substantial part of which is setting up a debootstrapped chroot and
installing coriolis2. On this attempt I was finally able to complete it
(thanks to Luke and Jock for updating the process for Debian 10 and
working out a few other kinks in the process!), but given the length and
complexity of this process, it strikes me as another candidate for
automation. I was thinking I could repeat the process I'm going through
with Jacob, working on the build server setup automation, with the HDL
workflow. Jacob has advised me to set up a local debian vm for the
purposes of ensuring the script's reliability, so it is my thiniking
that it will be worthwhile to work on these two process automations concurrently.
Do you think that this is would be useful and worthwhile? Also, given
that we already have a hard dependency on python, are bash scripts
preferable to the python equivalent of these automation scripts?

Cole