[libre-riscv-dev] [OT] Minecraft garbage collection

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 06:41:37 GMT 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020, 22:48 Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:42:55PM -0700, Jacob Lifshay wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, I am also writing a custom garbage collector in Rust for
> the
> > next version of my Minecraft-style game engine (Voxels) -- I'm using a 3D
> > variant of the hashlife algorithm (see wikipedia) which uses a garbage
> > collector except that the more garbage is kept around the faster it runs
> > (opposite of most GCs) since it is used to cache computations.
>
> That looks both interesting and useful!

Thanks!

for a early-alpha working version using hashlife (newer than 0.7), see
https://github.com/programmerjake/hashlife3d

I'm currently working (really slowly due to spending most my time on
Libre-SOC) on rewriting the core hashlife algorithm to be multithreaded
using a work-stealing scheduler:
https://github.com/programmerjake/parallel-hashlife-rust

for a decently playable (think Minecraft pre-1.0) old game version written
in C++ -- doesn't use hashlife (the previously mentioned project with
incomprehensible occasional random crashes):
https://github.com/programmerjake/voxels-0.7

compiled versions for Linux, Windows, and Android:
https://github.com/programmerjake/voxels-0.7/releases

Pretty pictures: https://hackaday.io/project/7018/gallery