[libre-riscv-dev] next tasks

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 12 14:43:30 GMT 2020

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 09:39:21AM +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 14:14:16 +0000
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > > we only have a few months in which to hang together all of the pieces
> > > that have been put together, to make a 64-bit 180nm chip.  because
> > > we're not doing this in verilog i believe it is reasonably doable, if
> > > we take steps to cut "unnecessary" things out i.e. not do too much.
> > > chop out L2 cache for example.
> >
> > What about the C/C++ simulator/interpreter timeline? It's not a blocker
> > for the hw tapeout, but it is a blocker for my work, which probably
> > mostly won't make it for the simple Oct tapeout anyway.

correct.  it's on a separate track.

> Or a simulation of the new SoC instruction set in C/C++?

to start from an existing power isa simulator (gem5 for example), that
simulator *happens* to be written in c or more likely c++, therefore
simulated vector and VPU instructions *have* to be written in c / c++.

otherwise we need to create - from scratch - an entire new POWER ISA
cycle-accurate instruction simulator, which would be a genuinely
stupid thing to spend time on given that there are a number of such
simulators in existence already.  including qemu.