[libre-riscv-dev] Why nMigen?

Jacob Lifshay programmerjake at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:27:34 GMT 2020

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020, 12:57 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> several others were eliminated as well, including doing our own HDL,
> because we would literally be the only people in the world using it.

If that was an option, building it on Rust in a similar style to nmigen
would be a great option because Rust has a largish user base, a lot of the
syntax and semantics are similar to C/C++, it has a very powerful type
system (where you can statically prove at compile-time that whatever code
you wrote meets custom constraints), it is quite easy to install (I
couldn't get Scala to work), it has a very powerful procedural macros
system (generating new Rust code at compile time), and it can easily use
yosys's APIs through FFI.

some more info:
https://stackoverflow.blog/2020/01/20/what-is-rust-and-why-is-it-so-popular/