[libre-riscv-dev] Intel Skylake QA "abnormally bad"

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jun 25 17:17:11 BST 2020

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, Alain D D Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 04:34:21PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> wrote:
> > https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/20/06/25/017246/former-
> intel-engineer-claims-skylake-qa-drove-apple-away
> >
> > ouch.  apple's engineers were finding and reporting more bugs than
> > intel's own engineers.
>
> I read that.
>
> What I want to know was: if Intel was so bad why did they not switch to
> AMD -
> less of a shake up, cheaper, use less power, just as fast (these days) ?
> Maybe
> the decision was taken a long time ago or this was part of the reson.

AMD 3 to 4 years ago did not have access to the same high end fabs as
Intel.  remember, AMD sold their foundry which became GlobalFoundries.

in the intervening time significant advances have been made but these would
not have been public knowledge at the time, or if they were available under
NDA they were "unproven".