[libre-riscv-dev] Enabling Small images on the mailing list

Alain D D Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 16:38:17 BST 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 02:12:32AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 1:14 AM Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Luke,
> >         The LDST comp architecture is starting to make more sense to me.
>
> yay! :)
>
> >         I would like to ask you some questions - it would be so efficient if I could attach small PNGs with highlights and arrows.
>
> hum hum let's think that through.
>
> i learned from alain and also from general internet netiquette that it
> is bad practice to distribute attachments to hundreds of people.
> however i have in the past, on this particularly focussed technical
> list and others, that it is actually valuable.

Some 14 years ago I wrote a perl script to deal exactly with this for mailman
lists: MailToUrl

Basically you send email to an address, it extracts the attachments and returns
you the URLs - you forward these URLs to the mail list. It will then auto purge
these files after some time, see:

https://www.phcomp.co.uk/Packages/MailToUrl.html

Part of it is a script that builds an authorisation list from the members of a
mailman list - ie stop the world from using the facility.

If you like it I can put it up.

Regards

--
Alain Williams