[libre-riscv-dev] daily kan-ban update 22jun2020

Cesar Strauss cestrauss at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:42:52 BST 2020

Ongoing:

* Work on the parallel unit test concept in
src/soc/experiment/test/test_compalu_multi.py.

* Work on the unit tests for LDSTCompUnit in
src/soc/experiment/compldst_multi.py

Recently:

* Became temporarily obsessed with pipelines in general, and with the
Pipeline API in particular. Conceived an implementation of MultiCompUnit
using the pipeline API. Drew a nice block diagram using my favorite
schematic editor, lepton (forked from gEDA/gaf).

* Participated in the MarketNext call. Got to share my experience in
learning nMigen and creating unit tests.

Misc:

Added some resources to the wiki:

* Lecture notes - Floating Point Appreciation

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~markhill/cs354/Fall2008/notes/flpt.apprec.html

Among other things, has a nice explanation on arithmetic, rounding modes
and the sticky bit.

* What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

Nice resource on rounding errors (ulps and epsilon) and the "table
maker's dilemma".

Been reading, on and off, this book I found recommended on the Coriolis
site:

Mead, Carver; Conway, Lynn (1980). Introduction to VLSI systems.

It is available for reading online on openlibrary.org (an archive,org
project).

Regards,

Cesar