[libre-riscv-dev] renaming master branch

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jun 21 15:29:18 BST 2020

On Sunday, June 21, 2020, Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Probably not worth considering.

i am so tempted to make an ironical self-deprecating joke here, however
decided against it because it could be misinterpreted.  and jokes that have
to have an advance explanation are laaame.  oh well :)

> Master has come to mean “original”.
>
> Record-master
> Film-master
> Tape-master
> Digital-master

iinteresting.  i missed that meaning.  it is particularly relevant in the
case of git and of source control.

we know what happens when people in office environments try to edit
documents collaboratively over email.

the concept of a "master document" prevents that absolute chaos from
happening.

> Masters weren’t only slaves rulers…
> master also means teacher.

iinteresting.

another extremely valuable meaning, where it is clearly recognised that,
actually, the role of a Master is to actually *SERVE* the student.

> Master I think is sufficiently overloaded.

indeed.

this has, sadly, not stopped the PSF from eradicating the word.

to highlight the absurdity i seriously considered submitting a bugreport
that my code had stopped working outside of the hours 9 to 5 monday to
friday and that i had seen the word "strike" and "unionisation" in
unauthorised data traffic between two pieces of code since upgrading the
version of python.

i did not however follow through with it as they may have had a sense of
humour failure.