[libre-riscv-dev] Enabling Small images on the mailing list

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 19 02:12:32 BST 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 1:14 AM Yehowshua <yimmanuel3 at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hello Luke,
>         The LDST comp architecture is starting to make more sense to me.

yay! :)

>         I would like to ask you some questions - it would be so efficient if I could attach small PNGs with highlights and arrows.

hum hum let's think that through.

i learned from alain and also from general internet netiquette that it
is bad practice to distribute attachments to hundreds of people.
however i have in the past, on this particularly focussed technical
list and others, that it is actually valuable.

then there is the server to consider.  i deliberately set a limit of
40k on messages here, so that we don't end up flooded with large
attachments, and the server archives are not overwhelmed:

root at libre-riscv:/etc/exim4# df -h
/dev/mapper/pc-root   12G  5.1G  5.8G  47% /

note the partition size!  the actual HDD allocation for that
mythic-beasts.com allocation is really small, and consequently doesn't
cost me 3x more money per month.

with public-inbox now in operation there are actually *two* archives.

now, i can raise that limit slightly, but please be mindful.  i have
found that using jpegs or setting "black-and-white" significantly
reduces the size.

the other alternative: git push them to the wiki (in an appropriate
location - probably 6600scoreboard/discussion/) and then we can refer
to them, here.  that way they're recorded (for archive and
transparency purposes) but are not recorded in BASE64 (mime-encoded)
format (wasteful) more than once.

what do you think?